Terms and Conditions
On this page:
Below are the standard terms and conditions used by the New Zeland Companion Animal Register to manage the LostPet.co.nz web site. These may be subject to change without notice.
By placing a listing, users of LostPet.co.nz accept the following terms and conditions:
- “Customer” means the person who uses the services offered by Animal Register Limited on LostPet.co.nz.
- “Animal Register Limited” means Animal Register Limited (ARL), its related companies, and directors, officers, employees or agents.
- Animal Register Limited has the discretion to accept or decline listings without reason, further ARL reserve the right to cancel any listing without notice and without explanation.
- No costs are payable to create LostPet.co.nz listings or to browse the open parts of the web site.
- Animal Register Limited may, at its absolute discretion, suspend or terminate the ability of any Customer at any time and for any reason.
- The LostPet.co.nz website will be available online 24/7, subject to server accessibility and accepting there may be minor outages. As a free service LostPet.co.nz offers an email support service only. Users of the NZCAR microchip database and the 'PiP' Facial Recognition service also have access to our 0800 LOSTPET (567873) call centre during office hours of 8:30am to 5pm (excluding pubic holidays), and after hours for reporting emergencies.
- Animal Register Limited has attempted to provide a web site that is both complete and offers a full Animal Recovery Service. Every effort has been made to ensure all content is legal and free from copyright. Any concerns over the use of content, images, code or any other aspect of the site may be raised with Animal Register Limited during normal office hours and if found to be correct such content will be removed immediately.
- Animal Register Limited reserve the right to alter, amend, vary, add or delete any content, policies, pricing and/or graphics as they see fit at any time and without notification.
- The Customer agrees not to use the Animal Register Limited database for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these terms and conditions.
- The Customer agrees not to market any services or promote any products - any such listing will be subject to automatic deletion and the Customer banned or blocked from the site.
- Material on this site not be altered, modified, reproduced, transmitted or distributed without prior written consent from the person listing the information or Animal Register Limited.
- No copyright material, images or text may be used on the site and any breach of this will see liability placed upon the person posting the content.
- The provision of LostPet.co.nz is limited in liablity and customers are advised to read the limitation of liablity statement on this site.
- service will not be provided until alternative payment arrangments have been completed.
- Animal Register Limited reserve the right to change these terms and conditions, including payment methods at any time and without notification.
- The customer is responsible for ensuring all records held in the register are correct and current.
- A request to cancel or remove a record may be made by calling 0800 LOST PET.
- All right, title and interest in all Intellectual Property in all concepts, systems, written, graphic and other material relating to Animal Register Limited shall at all times remain the exclusive property of, Animal Register Limited. Nothing in these terms and conditions shall constitute any licence of or transfer of intellectual property rights to the Customer.
- Force Majeure Clause: If the performance of Animal Register Limited of its obligations under these terms and conditions is prevented by reason of “force majeure” (which shall include prevention occasioned by fire, casualty, accident, act of God, natural disaster, any law, order, proclamation, regulation, demand or requirement of any government or government agency, strikes, labour disputes, shortage of labour or lack of skilled labour, shortage or unavailability of electricity or communications failures, or other causes whatsoever (whether similar to the foregoing or not) beyond the reasonable control of Animal Register Limited then Animal Register Limited shall be excused from such performance to the extent of such prevention.
- Any links to third party websites are provided for convenience only, and the inclusion of any link does not imply any endorsement or verification by the Companion Animal Register, Animal Register Limited or the New Zealand Companion Animal Council and its members. Animal Register Limited does not monitor the content of any other website and is not liable or responsible in relation to any content on them.
The information provided to Animal Register Limited contains personally identifiable information that you share with us for the sole purpose of repatriating your animal in the case it is lost.
Our policy is that we recognise this purpose and undertake to comply with the laws of New Zealand in regard to the protection and use of your details. In particular when using our web site your information is protected by the Privacy Act 1993 and the four public register privacy principles which limit:
- the manner in which information can be made available from public registers;
- re-sorting or combining public register information for commercial gain;
- electronic transmission of public registers;
- charging for access to public register information.
Animal Register Limited will not sell, share or give away your personally identifiable information to any other party. NO information will be used for solicitation by third parties without specific approval.
The only exceptions to this policy are:
- That non-personal information may be used for statistical analysis of animal loss and recovery patterns throughout New Zealand.
- In the event information is requested by law enforcement in the completion of a valid investigation and with the proper legal requests.
- We may contact registered users with advise on any change in our services and policies or to advise on the services we offer.
LostPet.co.nz is intended to facilitate the recovery of lost animals by assisting those who find or recover lost animals to collect contact information for the animal and initiate the return of the animal to the proper owner.
LostPet.co.nz is an information service only and makes no claim to any other function other than the storage and provision of the details supplied at the time of listing creation.
The animal contact shall be the sole party responsible for ensuring that information stored on LostPet.co.nz is current and accurate.
The animal contact shall acknowledge and agree that a listing on LostPet.co.nz is not a guarantee that the animal will be returned, nor does it guarantee or make any warranty on the condition of the animal at the time of recovery.
LostPet.co.nz disclaim any responsibility for the costs incurred in the recovery of an animal and the animal contact shall assume total responsiblity for arranging for the return of the lost animal and any costs incurred.
Animal Register Limited, as managers of LostPet.co.nz, and the New Zealand Companion Animal Council, as owners of the service, expressly disclaim any liability for inaccurate or negligent use of the information stored in the database by any third party, including but not limited to, any authorised party to whom approval to retrieve owner details has been supplied.
Animal Register Lmited shall protect the stored information with regard to all applicable laws of the New Zealand Government, however it expressly disclaims any misuse of this information by third parties, either authorised users, employees or non-authorised users, if it has been obtained either by illegal means or for illegal purposes.
Animal Register Limited as managers of the NZCAR assume all responsibility for the NZCAR and waive any liability for the operation and use of the NZCAR from the New Zealand Companion Animal Council as owners of the NZCAR.